Summary of Responsibilities:
Provides business planning, decision support analysis, and measurement reporting for the assigned business unit(s); e.g. Agency, Columbus Life and/or Lafayette Life. Develops critical management decision analysis tools, and suggests and implements cost-savings. Prepares financial budgets, forecasts and various business case financial models, and performs special projects. Develops, implements and maintains profitability models, cost benefit analysis models and business unit performance measures. Performs variance analyses monthly and quarterly for key management reports. Provides highly confidential analyses in support of new business initiatives and potential acquisitions. Works with minimal supervision and is responsible for making a broad range of critical decisions independently, escalating to executive-level management when appropriate.
- Constructs yearly financial plans (budgets) and quarterly forecasts.
- Develops decision analysis tools necessary to help manage and grow the business.
- Identifies and implements process and cost improvements.
- Represents Finance Department in business unit specific meetings, and is responsible for identifying necessary analyses and updating the department on key items of impact.
- Develops, implements and maintains profitability and break-even models.
- Performs analyses in support of potential acquisition candidates.
- Creates and develops analyses to assist in the pricing of products.
- Develops, implements and reports business unit performance measures and key metrics.
- Prepares and communicates Scorecard commentary quarterly for each business unit supported.
- Prepares variance analyses to budget monthly for key management reports.
- Cross-trained as backup for one other business unit; cross-train another analyst as backup for your business units.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Five plus years experience in an analytical role; advanced degrees or designations (MBA, Master’s in Finance/Accounting or equivalent, CFA, CPA or CMA) a plus.
- Proven strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience identifying and quantifying problems and providing effective resolution.
- Demonstrated experience working independently with little direction from management. Experience must include identifying and resolving problems where independent decision-making and initiative were demonstrated.
- Proven experience coordinating multiple projects/assignments simultaneously, and completing assigned tasks accurately and on a timely basis. Must demonstrate strong attention to detail with excellent organizational skills. Expected to cite examples of organization and time management/methods used to manage or prioritize workload demands. Must demonstrate project management experience in planning, executing and maintaining a project from start to finish.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to convey information to internal and external customers in a clear, focused and concise manner while following proper rules of punctuation, diction and style. Ability to prepare correspondence, reports and forms using a prescribed format.
- Proven experience effectively influencing a group to a recommended course of action.
- Demonstrated experience in advanced spreadsheet applications. Includes extensive modeling of multiple business units and/or various financial products.
- Works in an office setting and frequently requires being in a stationary position for long periods of time while working at a desk, on a computer or with other standard office equipment, or while in meetings.
- Performs frequent movement of wrists, hands and fingers for continuous computer work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or related field or commensurate selection criteria experience in related position or industry; advanced degree or designation (MBA, Masters in Finance/Accounting-equivalent, CFA, CPA or CMA) a plus.
Computer Skills and Knowledge of Hardware & Software Required:
- Highly Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, e.g. Excel, Powerpoint; Database applications a plus.
Certifications & Licenses (i.e., Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):
- Extended hours required as needed for peak seasons.