Summary of Responsibilities:
Provides legal advice and counsel on insurance and annuity matters to all Western & Southern Financial Group business and shared service units. Provides legal advice on both a preventive basis and after issues have arisen. Manages insurance and annuity litigation and disputes directly and/or through outside counsel. Works with minimal supervision and escalates to Law and business unit management as appropriate.
· Market conduct examinations conducted by state insurance departments.
· Customer complaints submitted directly to the Company or through state insurance departments.
· Requests and inquiries from various regulatory or court authorities.
· Substantial experience (10+ years following law school) in the role of Counsel, Senior Counsel or equivalent in title and experience handling complex insurance and annuity matters and related litigation.
· Extensive experience in a corporate legal department and/or law firm, working independently with clients on complex matters.
· Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work cross-functionally, both to build relationships with business unit clients and other attorneys and to develop associates in skills and profiency while achieving tactical and strategic goals.
· Excellent issue identification, negotiation and conflict resolution skills (creativity and problem solving).
· Sound judgment and initiative in selecting the most effective solutions.
· Strong contract drafting and excellent written communication/technical drafting skills.
· Excellent verbal communication/interpersonal skills, detail-oriented and resourceful with excellent follow-through skills.
· Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and manage multiple tasks and priorities; meeting deadlines is imperative.
· Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships with executive leadership, and to influence others beyond direct control, both inside and outside the Company.
· Demonstrated ability to lead teams of other attorneys and colleagues in the organization on legal and regulatory matters, cases and/or issues.
· Demonstrated ability to focus on big picture corporate vision and collaborate with other business and shared service unit management; appreciable knowledge and perspective of businesses.
· Juris Doctor degree from a recognized and accredited law school and above average class standing.
Computer Skills and Knowledge of Hardware & Software Required:
Certifications & Licenses (i.e., Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):